Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Christmas Spirt Prevails...





The holiday season didn't start off well at the Walker household. I caught an upper respiratory virus that lingered for weeks. Eventually, it turned into pneumonia. I finally kicked the dang thing to the curb only to be hit again with a two by four with a stomach flu virus on Monday. At that point, I raised the white flag of surrender for Christmas and declared that what was done was done and it just had to be enough. My zeal for to do lists and checks in the box is legendary so you can imagine my struggle with letting so much go, especially for Eva's first Christmas. But you know what? It was more than enough. In fact, dare I say that it was perfect? It's a good lesson that we put these expectations on ourselves and we can( and probably should) be more intentional about how we spend our time during a month when we are being pushed and pulled in so many different directions.

We spent the entire day at home while Eva skyped with her Midwestern families. Later, we enjoyed a wonderful meal. One of the things I noted about Eva is that she was not overwhelmed by the gifts. Instead, she really enjoyed and played with what she had, which, again, was just enough. She was also calm and collected throughout the day and didn't show any signs of being overstimulated. It was really a joy to behold and I do want to embrace this memory and remember what this Christmas felt like so that we don't get caught up in the Christmas current next year. Merry Christmas, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment