Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Eva's First Coos




So I mentioned in the previous posts that Eva was working up to a coo. After her bath on Sunday night she was in that glorious quiet, alert stage that we wait for with delirious anticipation. I started to interact with her with the usual "hellos" prompting her beautiful toothless grin. I always follow up with a serous of "coos." Up until this point she would try to mimic the sound but nothing would come out. You could tell that she was working SO HARD to make a sound. Her entire body started pumping with the legs kicking, eyebrows arching, arms extended out. As I lifted her up to my shoulder I heard a husky "coo" that was clear as a bell. I doubted the authenticity of the sound thinking, "nah, it couldn't be." Then, she said it again, three times in a row. This time she locked eyes with me and said it with a smile so it was clear that she was getting the caller response game that I had played unilaterally up until this point. To say that I was overjoyed is an understatement. Jeff was there too and we both did a little "coo" dance in the kitchen and tears welled up in our eyes. "She said "coo. She really, truly said "coo."

I tried to get a picture of this moment but I think the energy that she exerted was far too exhausting and she started to cry. But nothing could take a away the glory of this moment. We now have "coo" sessions every day. And, I might add, she is adding to her repetoire of sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment