Saturday, September 5, 2009

Ode to My Daughter



I love the fact that I no longer need an alarm clock but instead awaken to Eva's coos and vocalizations. My favorite part of the day is the moment where I lean over to her bassinette and say "Good Morning, Eva." She flashes her million dollar toothless smile as she wriggles in her swaddle. It's as if she's saying "My hero; you rescued me again!"

I adore watching her tiny hands move in undulating patterns when she's in that drowsy dream like state as she nurses.

I love our nap and nighttime routine. I adore singing her lullabies and love to see her face light up as I croon along with Rene and Jeremy. Sometimes, right before she goes to sleep, her eyes soften and she gives me the most loving, adoring smile. When it happens, it's magical. There's really nothing like it.

I love giving her baths. If I had my way, we would do it every night. The best part is the end when I hold and cuddle her and take in that "new baby smell."

I love dressing her in all her new precious adorable girlie outfits. Now that Eva is not so fussy, we can actually get her into more than just a snap t-shirt and a diaper. She looks like a little doll in all her new dresses and outfits.

I love watching the world through her eyes. Now that she's waking up to the world you can literally see her taking everything in with wide eyed fascination. I try to imagine what she sees as she beholds each object or person for the very first time.

I love being Eva's mom. Each day I settle more into what this moniker means and dig in to the rich complexity of motherhood. I love seeing my confidence grow and my Momma Bear instincts come out as I take her out into the world.

I love Eva. I try to tell her her so when she awakens, when she goes down for the night, and with every diaper change, bath, and feeding.

I love watching Jeff embrace fatherhood and what it means. I see a bond developing between them as they play and interact with one another. Before long she'll be daddy's little girl and have him wrapped around her little finger.

I look forward to what lies ahead as Eva grows, develops and becomes our little girl. In the meantime, I try to take in each moment of her infanthood and witness each milestone with a sense of awe and reverence.

2 comments:

  1. Hear Hear - so beautifully put and I second your feelings of motherhood - all overwhelming and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. You should print this up on pretty paper and put it somewhere to give Eva when she's older, like when she is about to become a mother. Or re-read when she's a teenager! :)

    ReplyDelete