Sunday, March 28, 2010

Trip to Rattlesnake Ridge

On Saturday I went hiking with Eva around Rattlesnake Lake with my friend, Shanna, and her baby, Olivia. Both Shanna and I needed this break outside since I've been baching it the past week (slang for no hubbie) and Shanna is a CPA in the midst of tax season. The weather was beautiful, sunny and in the sixties once again. We are getting incredibly spoiled here in the northwest with this unseasonably mild weather! Rattlesnake Ridge is one of my all time favorite hikes in the area. The glacier fed lake is surrounded by lush mountains, driftwood lines the shore, and stumps of trees punctuate the sylvan setting. Usually I hike to the summit of the mountain and take in this setting from above but with a baby in tow I was definitely content to hike the trail around the lake instead.

Eva absolutely loved the hike since there were dogs everywhere. She's fascinated by dogs so she enjoyed watching Suki, the Tomko's Brittney Spannial, fetch random driftwood sticks along the way. There was also abundant wildlife to watch as well. Canadian geese were along the shore in addition to other birds that I wasn't able to identify. Eva couldn't get enough of the fresh air and stimulating sites. She only started to get a little cranky towards the end when she was tired and cold from the the wind. On the way back home I expected her to cry the entire way in her car seat but she hung in there like a champ. I heard babbling and then before long she conked out.

The most amazing part of the trip was what happened when we got home. Usually when Eva falls asleep for 15-20 minutes in the car I she wakes up the moment we get home and then refuses to go down again. This time she STAYED asleep and so I put her car seat in her bedroom while she continued napping. I know this sounds like a pretty minor change but not in terms of what it could potentially do for our quality of life. Eva's dislike for her car seat and inability to nap anywhere but home have kept us homebound for the past ten months. I tried the same variables today after Palm Sunday mass and it worked again! She continued sleeping for another hour once we got home. Let's hope these two incidents were not anomalies. );

*I forgot the camera in the car so I have no photos of this trip. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment