Monday, June 27, 2011

San Diego Marathon Trip









26.2 miles is only 13.1 more miles than a half marathon. The extra miles beyond the half mark is deceiving, however. I am not exaggerating when I say that it was the most challenging thing I have ever done (and that includes childbirth!). The smile of jubilation in the first photo is my realization that the journey was finally coming to an end. I would not have made it to 26.1 without my childhood friend, Amy, by my side. I bawled like a baby when I crossed the finish line. The ice bath at the end was heavenly. The celebratory beer later that night, exceptional. The realization that it was all over: the best!

Will I do another one? The day of the event I swore I would never do it again. But, like having a baby, you forget the pain and remember the good moments and the surge of endorphins at the end. I committed to do the Portland Marathon with Amy in October of 2012. I would like to experience another marathon in the climate that I train in with a gentler course.

We had a half day to explore San Diego the day after the race. Eva loved the palm trees, ocean, and carousel rides. We will definitely plan another trip to San Diego was a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment