Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bellevue College Parent Education Program





We only have two more weeks of class left with the BC Parent Ed Program. I've been attending with Eva since I started staying home with Eva in March. We both look forward to the Thursday morning classes. Eva absolutely loves the setting of the class since it is set up as a free explore Montessori environment. Nothing is off limits and they encourage kids to follow their impulses. This usually means that I am chasing after her while she explores whatever is in the adjoining room. Most of the other kids aren't walking yet so they are content to explore what is right in front of them. I admire the principals of the program and its focus on the child. There is also a musical component taught my a music educator. Snack follows with a talk from a nutritionist. The class concludes each day with a developmentally appropriate talk that we listen to as the kids play. The educators who have created the program have around 20-30 years experience. It's really quite phenomenal. I have learned so much in the last three months and imagine that months 4-9 would have been a lot easier with the knowledge and support of a program like this one.

We've signed up for the 1st year toddler class but it is at a different location with different teachers. I'll really miss the space and people at the Bellevue College location. I love watching all of the babies interact in this unique environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment